Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Computer Problem

Sorry for the lack of posting. I have a computer problem with my laptop which is making posting unpleasant if it requires the typing of more than a few words.

My keyboard is messed up. Multiple keys are not working. To name them, it's the h, g, ', backspace and escape keys. And occasionally a shift key doesn't actually shift.

I have a portable keyboard, and there is the onscreen keyboard but both have drawbacks and are just not as pleasant or easy to use as the regular keyboard.

I have no idea if it is a hardware problem or a software problem. If there are geeks reading this, any ideas would be accepted.

(Getting a new computer is not among the options.)

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

T.O.:
First thing I usually do, is turn the keyboard uopside down, and shake all the "schmutz" out of it.

Be surprised what falls out.

If there is a hairline crack on the circuit board, that might cause intermittent usage.

Anything else beyond that, I'm lost.
(I'm more hardware-oriented than software-oriented....lol)

But you "could" always get a WIRELESS keyboard and plug that into a nearby USB port (cheaper than getting an entirely NEW unit).
That might work...

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Stay safe out there.

The Observer said...

Thanks Bob-I have shaken and airblown the keyboard-it anything it got a little worse. OH well. I'll have to wait for a bit to get a new one, unless a geek comes forward to rescue me.

The Observer

Bwayne said...

This computer problem has something to do with the hardware part. There could be any sort of disconnection between the keyboard and the computer. Some of the causes of this are crumbs deposited beneath the key presses or any obstructions. Just check it out.