Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Major League Ballplayer Takes a Swipe at KC

ESPN: The Magazine features a column by "Player X", a professional athlete of the current sport of the season. This being July, it's a MLB player. In the July 12, 2010 issue of the magazine, Player X writes on why he likes the All-Star Game. Being a fan, I am glad he likes the All-Star Game. But buried in all the feel good inside stuff was this little swipe at Our Fair City:

I admit I'm kind of a geek when it comes to this stuff. Even in years I have made the team, I've still tuned in. That's not true for all players, though. Most guys don't watch if they don't make it. I have one teammate who actually complained about being named an All-Star because it's the only week in eight months he can spend decent time with his family, away from baseball. I also know for a fact that guys around the majors are not psyched about the prospect of spending All-Star week in Kansas City in 2012. The park isn't great, and there's just not much going on in that town. (page 20, bold added)
I am aching to defend Our Fair City, but I know that we are not the greatest party stop and that our ball park, while newly renovated and in my mind totally wonderful, is over 30 years old, but I didn't think we were such a second rate choice that it should take away from the honor of being a participant in All-Star week for a ball player.

My civic pride is annoyed; yes, it is.

2 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
I know just what you mean! It's one thing to complain about your own backyard, that's natural. But nobody else should!

Perhaps it's time for player X to appreciate a little quiet time and good KC cuisine and get a little OVER himself.

My sympathies,
Ann T.

The Observer said...

Ann T:
It seems he was speaking of what he heard on the grapevine,and perhaps of himself--after all, we spin that grapevine talk to accommodate our view occasionally, don't we?

It is a fact that KC is not NY, LA, WashDC, Chicago, or even Boston. And we don't party like NOLA. But we have our charms, and one is that we have no pretensions. We are a place you can relax, and not have to put a show for the onlookers.

If I were in a public occupation like professional athlete, especially if I was family and faith oriented, I might consider time in KC to be a refreshing vacation indeed!

The Observer