Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Just a Little Chiefs Analysis...

One of three TD passes the Chiefs allowed Sunday...

The Chiefs were really bad on Sunday, yes they were, and many many words have been spoken, written and typed over the past couple days about the game. Here is my take:
1. You are never as good as your best game and as bad as your worse game. This team may not be very good, but they are not as bad as they looked on Sunday.
2. The needs that were not addressed in the off season are still there. Offense and defensive lines are bad and did not get better.
3. As much as we would like to lay a lot of blame at the feet of the coach and the players, I am beginning to question the general manager instead. Scott Pioli has some work to do. He has some explaining to do, but he doesn't 'splain so I will just settle for him to fix this mess.
We didn't draft to need, and we didn't spend the money we have. That is not the way to build a winner. When draft time and "silly season" come around the Chiefs need to be smarter. Small market teams cannot afford stupidity.
4. Clark Hunt, quit trying to run the team on a shoe string. A winning team will make money for you. If you are hoping to be just good enough to generate hope, the hope that keeps people going to the stadium in large numbers, and not take the actions that lead to the next level of performance, then I do hope that those inclined to go to the stadium piss on your expensive tickets and ridiculous parking fee and not go.
When I moved to Kansas City, the Chiefs were just getting good under Carl Peterson. The city really came together over the team and it was like a college atmosphere. That good will has been drained away over the past 10 years or so of losing and seeming not to know how to stop losing. Good organizations are willing to do what it takes to stop losing--that includes taking some reasonable chances and not being afraid to spend money.

4 comments:

chuck said...

Dead on the money.

32 million under the cap, the most in the NFL.

I heard Soren say that they were trying to recoup the money spent on the stadium and that Hunt was an owner who spent his own money on the stadium, not many other owners do I guess.

Zero sum?

Not likely.

I had to pony up 200.00 for my fantasy football, and pony up money in advance of the games I bet on.

Hunt will lose money, because he is afraid to risk it.

Pioli took Tyson Jackson art 3, BJ Raji went to the Packers at 8.

He gets paid a lot of money, NOT to make those kind of mistakes.

He took Dex in the 2nd round, and passed on T Cody twice, and Brandon Spikes.

Galactic screw up.

Very Average drafts, and the truth is, I would have done better.

Seriously, my friends and I were SCREAMING for BJ Raji and T Cody and B Spikes.

There are 4 to 5or 6 of us that get hammered and watch the draft.

Next year, if Clark has gas in the ank and the balls to do it, he should actually call me.

The Chiefs mode NO effort to try and sign Brandon Merriweather, I was stunned when he was released.

We have 2 major league teams,that are run by misers.

chuck said...

Yeah, thats right, I said I could draft a better team drunk, than Pioli.

Bob G. said...

T.O.:
And things like THIS are the reason I REALLY miss the old LEN DAWSON days!

Stay safe out there.

The Observer said...

I think the most important of these is number one.

It is not this bad--at least it had better not be!

Yes, we all miss Lenny the Cool on the field, for sure. Still looking for the next Lenny the Cool!

The Observer (whose "H" key and others that have been MIA just mysteriously started working again!)