Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election Reaction

I was on Facebook last night via my BlackBerry while out and about watching the election returns. Around 10 pm I found the cryptic post from a left leaning friend: "God help America." This afternoon, once on the computer I decided to check out the thread that developed.

After a morning of reading and listening to opining about the election and where our country is going, I was still bothered to some degree by my friend's short comment. How is it that the Republican victories gave such a sense of dismay that my friend was looking for divine intervention?

I think the first thing we need to do is to give our politicians the same grace we give our friends and family. My mother, bless her heart, was guiding Vermont Democratic gubernatorial candidate Peter Shumlin around her small town during the last month of the campaign. We agree to disagree, my mother and I on both politics and religion. The friend above is an awesome, funny, smart and passionate person. Her left leanings do not make me think less of her.

So we need to stop demonizing the opposition. We may disagree and do battle in the arena of ideas, but the ad hominum attacks and suspicions of evil plans do not help us solve the difficult problems that this country faces. Let's not take our disagreements to the levels such that we are running around thinking the other is not just wrong, but evil. It doesn't help our system, which is built on planned opposition and checks and balances anyway, work any better. Honest debate is what we need, not hysteria followed by stubbornness.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Where's the "Like" button around here??

The Observer said...

peedee:
I think you found it! Thanks for "liking"!

Now, let's get with improving the economy and getting folks working again!

The Observer

Bob G. said...

T.O.:
If there is any REAL "opposition", it must be those opposed to what has made this nation GREAT in the past, and why so many from other natuiosn flocked here for their "chance" to pursue the AMERICAN dream (or opportunity).

And such "opposition" needs to be fought on the battlefield of IDEAS first.

Very good post.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
I'm with you. Let's stop demonizing the opposition, drop the ad hominem attacks (except I can't quite when it comes to George W.) and go for the honest debate.

No hysteria from me (except I can't quite stop myself when it comes to George W.) I guess my friends are going to have to understand I have a failing--and--I don't plan to share that on Facebook, because (my hysteria over George W.) does not advance a discussion.

My (hysteria over George W.) is partly because I think he enjoyed demonizing the opposition, I thought he was wrong, and no matter what, I felt I was powerless to have an honest debate or advancing discussion during his tenure. Or that anyone reached him at all unless they demonized the opposition.

I imagine I'll get over it someday.
Ann T.