Thursday, September 15, 2011

Story Telling Time: Lost and Found

Yesterday, I decided to take a short walk. A spontaneous decision, no plan, just a quick walk around the block, about a fourth of a mile. Off I went...but first talked to the guys painting the house two doors down about spray painters...

Then...walked down my street, turned the corner, walked down that street, turned another corner, started walking down that street. Looking around, checking out the scenery. Something caught my eye lying in the curb area at the foot of a driveway. I went over to look. Keys--someone's keys. Two car keys, branded Pontiac, a carabiner, a purple tag. I considered what to do with them for a few moments. I ended up laying them down again, thinking I would come back. Started down the street again, stopped to read the signs on a vacant house (the dreaded foreclosure triad...) and continued. Greeted an enthusiastic Husky dog, petted and admired him, then continued down the street. As I looked ahead, I could see a young couple walking around a car, occasionally poking at the windows. Could it be? The car was a...Pontiac! Are you kidding me?!

I stopped: "Are you missing some keys for a Pontiac? I found some up the street..." She looks up, startled. "I went for a walk a couple days ago--they've been missing since. I drove around and looked yesterday, didn't see anything. Did they have purple on them?" "Yes, a purple tag. I laid them back down cause I wasn't sure what I was going to do. They are right there in front of the house with the signs on it." We walked back to the house in question. I bent down and scooped up the wayward keys, held them up. "Are they...?" "Oh yes! Wow!" We walked back to the Pontiac and she opened it up. I continued on, amazed at the timing. Not just that I spontaneously decided to take a walk...What if...no painters two doors down...no foreclosed house to get nosy about...no dog to stop and visit with...?

Today, I found someone's cell phone in the bathroom at the library. Unfortunately I had to turn it in at the desk...

Pontiac photo for illustration...not the exact car in question.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

T.O.:
ANother good deed done...and another satisfied "customer"...

THAT is what makes America great!

Have a good weekend.
Stay safe out there.

The Observer said...

Bob G:
I just thought that the "coincidences" were too amazing not to share! Just one change in timing and I would not have seen the people.

Thanks for stopping by and have a nice weekend.

The Observer